Link copied to clipboard!
BlogForge AI

Stop Building AI Wrappers: Solve One Real Problem Instead

Stop Building AI Wrappers: Solve One Real Problem Instead

A Relatable Story

I still remember the excitement when I first discovered the potential of AI. Like many developers, I jumped into building AI-powered products, hoping to change the world. My first project was an AI wrapper around a popular language model. It was slick, modern, and impressive – or so I thought. However, after launching, I realized that nobody was willing to pay for it. The product didn't solve any real-world problems, and it was just another flashy demo.

This experience taught me a valuable lesson: building AI wrappers is not the same as solving real business problems. Most AI wrappers fail because they focus on showcasing the capabilities of a language model rather than addressing a specific need in the market.

The Difference Between AI Wrappers and Real Solutions

A real solution solves a problem, saves time, or reduces costs. In contrast, AI wrappers are often just a user interface built around a language model, without considering the underlying needs of the users. For example, in healthcare, a real solution would be an AI-powered system that helps doctors diagnose diseases more accurately, while an AI wrapper would be a chatbot that provides generic health advice without any real value.

Practical Examples

Let's look at some practical examples from various industries. In logistics, a company used AI to optimize routes, reducing delivery times by 30%. In education, an AI-powered platform helped teachers automate grading, freeing up more time for teaching. In finance, an AI-driven system detected fraudulent transactions, saving businesses millions of dollars.

Successful SaaS companies focus on solving repetitive workflows, rather than building flashy AI demos. They understand that the key to success lies in providing value to their customers, not just showcasing the latest AI technology.

Common Mistakes Founders Make

Many founders make the mistake of building before validating their ideas. They ignore customer interviews, chase trends, and overengineer their products. As a result, they end up with a product that nobody wants or needs.

To build a profitable AI product, you need to start by validating your idea. Talk to potential customers, understand their pain points, and build a solution that addresses their needs. Don't be afraid to iterate and refine your product based on feedback.

Comparison Table: AI Wrapper Products vs Problem-Solving AI Products

AI Wrapper Products Problem-Solving AI Products
Focus on showcasing AI capabilities Focus on solving real-world problems
Often lack a clear value proposition Provide clear value to customers
Typically fail to generate revenue Can generate significant revenue

Bad Startup Decisions vs Better Alternatives

Bad Startup Decisions Better Alternatives
Building before validating Validating ideas before building
Ignoring customer interviews Conducting thorough customer interviews
Chasing trends Focusing on real customer needs

Practical AI Automation Workflow

Here's a simple example of a practical AI automation workflow in Python:

   
import pandas as pd
from sklearn.ensemble import RandomForestClassifier
from sklearn.model_selection import train_test_split

# Load data
df = pd.read_csv('data.csv')

# Split data into training and testing sets
X_train, X_test, y_train, y_test = train_test_split(df.drop('target', axis=1), df['target'], test_size=0.2, random_state=42)

# Train a random forest classifier
rf = RandomForestClassifier(n_estimators=100, random_state=42)
rf.fit(X_train, y_train)

# Make predictions on the test set
y_pred = rf.predict(X_test)
   
   

This code trains a random forest classifier on a dataset and makes predictions on a test set. It's a simple example, but it demonstrates how AI can be used to automate a workflow.

Lessons I Learned While Building AI Projects

Through my experience building AI projects, I've learned that the key to success lies in solving real-world problems. It's not about showcasing the latest AI technology, but about providing value to customers. I've also learned the importance of validating ideas before building and iterating based on customer feedback.

As I look back on my journey, I realize that building AI wrappers was just a stepping stone. It taught me the importance of focusing on real-world problems and providing value to customers. I hope that my story can serve as a lesson to other developers and founders, encouraging them to build products that make a real difference in people's lives.

Written by Chagalakonda Sandeep Krishna

Senior Java, Spring Boot & AI Engineer. Architecting modern enterprise backend systems.